Monday 12 August 2013

Last 2 Weeks.

My last two weeks of training have been, by far, the best I have done since getting back into training post Ironman Melbourne and European holiday.


Since the start of June I have been trying to re-establish my base fitness while starting a new job with different working hours. It has been a challenge but I have discovered various things that work for me in order to balance different factors in life. However, I will continue to look for improvements in the execution of my training schedule, around work and home life.
Some of my training, over the past 2 weeks, which has been particularly pleasing has been my swimming and running.

When swimming, I have seen some improvement in my times and general ability to push on with less rest between sets. I am feeling stronger in the water and coping better with the increased heart rate that comes when kicking more or harder. I am really looking forward to seeing how I go with 3 swim sessions per week, as opposed to 2, from now on.

As for my running, my hips feel good and less strained which makes things a whole lot more comfortable. I feel strong in my core and consistent in my technique overall. I don’t have much speed right now but, as I mentioned in my last blog, I am not worried about that. Once my general run strength/endurance picks up, the speed will start to naturally come with it and, by that time, I will be doing more specific speed work to continue this improvement.

Over the next 4 week cycle of my program, posted in my last blog, I will be looking to perform up to 18 hours training per week. How do I ensure I can fit all of this in while maintaining my life balance?

My answer is to be very STRICT on myself!

Strict how? The following:-
Ø  TV – watch less, train more. I have a habit of procrastinating in front of the TV far too often. I must be vigilant in ensuring I don’t waste precious time this way. I do one or two bikes sessions on my wind-trainer each week so this is the best time to watch TV. I like to record shows for use at these times. Also, I should watch less and sleep more. I find it easy to sit on the couch for too long instead of trying to go to sleep earlier.
Ø  Diet – Be very organised. Preparation is key! I have been very happy with the recent execution of my diet. However, I would say I am only at 80% of what it could be. Planning ahead saves time.
Ø  Housework – it is essential that I; a) make time for chores, and b) ensure it is done in the allocated time. Putting it off means it will eat into the time for training and other important things like hanging out with my partner and planning a wedding.
Ø  Sleep – (see first point for part of the problem) I must make time for my 8 – 9 hours each night and at least once a week, usually on a day off, don’t set the alarm. Allow my body to take as much sleep as it needs.
Ø  Planning – I am becoming better at planning my training around my work hours, sleep and chores but communicating with my partner is highly essential. Without this, it could cause great, unnecessary strain on our relationship and I don’t want to be selfish.

I’m hungry for success this season. I am 27 years old and the next few years are where my endurance and ability should really come to the fore. I am desperate to take advantage of that before it’s too late. This places more importance on getting the above points right. Being too relaxed with these things will prolong or prevent the possibility of having success and sustaining it for years to come.

Although, my results last season weren’t bad, they were not what I wanted. In retrospect, it was obvious where I could have improved my training to see bigger gains so I am using that information to make sure it doesn’t happen again. I must see greater improvement this year and hit these goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment