Friday 11 October 2013

Rest Week


One of the toughest parts of any big build towards a goal race is the rest periods. Why would resting be hard? It is a combination of mental and physical challenges but they are completely different to what you experience most of the time when you are training.

So I have just completed 2 and half weeks of hard training where I only had one day without any training. It would have been 3 weeks if not for the hospital visit. However, it was obvious at the end of those 2 and half weeks that I was in need of this scheduled break.

My break has started mid-week to accommodate the alterations I made to my program and to fit in with my work. As I have started a stretch of early work shifts, it is easier to use it as my rest time because I generally don’t sleep as well when working early and then don’t train as well because of it. This break will end in the middle next week and I will build up again for 2 and a half weeks before tapering off in the 2 weeks before the Shepparton race on November 17.

I began Tuesday with a day of complete rest. Wednesday was a regular training day with a morning swim and an afternoon brick session. Then, Thursday was another day of complete rest. This included many hours on the couch in front of the TV. I felt horrible! Totally lethargic and restless. Many athletes experience this type of feeling when they taper or have a rest period after a hard block of training as it is a shock to the body to not be doing much. It’s definitely one of the strangest mental battles I face as my instinct is to train in some form every day. Also, it is disconcerting to feel so run-down and lacking energy in the same way you do with a head cold. The rest days, despite feeling a bit crap, are necessary for proper recovery and adaptation to the hard work.

Today (Friday), I have ridden to work and will ride home. I’m not pushing myself, just getting from A to B comfortably. I will repeat that process tomorrow, then, on Sunday, I will do a 1 hour run at a leisurely pace with a couple of short efforts thrown in. Monday will be a swim where I will do my 20 x 100m at race pace. Tuesday is another complete rest day and finally, on Wednesday, I will do a light run with some drills and short efforts.

Thursday will begin the build up again with a 2 hour wind trainer session followed by a short weights session. The 2 and a half weeks that come after that will be almost exactly the same as what I have just completed. 3 main sessions in each discipline which includes a tough ride/run brick session. There will be one strength/weights session and a couple of core workouts as well as a short run off my long ride and a short ride before my long run.

I am looking forward to that last big push before the race and seeing how well I can prepare for this major season goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment