Saturday 8 March 2014

Last Race For The Season

On Sunday March 16, I will do one final race for this season. It will be the iconic Port Arlington triathlon, which is in its 27th or 28th year, over the distance of 800m swim, 26km ride and 8km run.

I have done this race twice previously. On one of those occasions, I forgot to put on my timing chip and consequently didn’t register a finish time or placing. This time around, I will be looking to post a fast time and a first place finish.

I’m going to leave it all out on the course in Port Arlington. I will be very focused on my technique during the swim to limit my losses to the fast swimmers and when I get on the bike I will look to move into the lead. I have never lead a race in my life but I know I could easily make up one or two minutes lost in the swim during the bike portion. Once onto the run, I will focus heavily on my leg turnover. It is slightly downhill for 4 km before turning around and completing the final 4 km slightly uphill. A high turnover on the downhill will serve me well.

My aim will be an overall time of 1 hour 25 minutes. Swim about 12 minutes, ride 40 minutes and run 30 minutes. I believe this will see me at least in the top 3.

Since completing the Geelong 70.3 four weeks ago, I have focused on shorter training sessions with more speed work. However, I can feel the effects of a long season, which began in May of last year, when I started my build up for the Shepparton 70.3 race. Fortunately, after this race, I will be getting married and taking an amazing two week honeymoon. We’ll begin by doing a whirlwind 3 days in Singapore before going to Phuket, Thailand, to soak up the sun and chill out.

I will be relaxing as much as possible on the honeymoon and enjoying several massages, while spending hours with my beautiful wife doing absolutely nothing. I know my body is craving the rest and I won’t start my formal training again until at least a week after we return. It will be essential to rest as much as possible before beginning my build up to the 70.3 World Champs, which will be about a 4 and ½ month process.

The next 6 weeks is looking terrific and after all that excitement, I get to prepare for my biggest race to date.


Tell me, what is your next major race goal and how are you going to approach it?

No comments:

Post a Comment