Wednesday 4 February 2015

Challenge Melbourne



I haven’t blogged since Ironman 70.3 Ballarat, which was on November 16. Following that race, I competed in a sprint distance event, at Elwood, on November 30. 

The Elwood event was a 500m swim, 20km ride and 5km run. I had a pretty good race with an average swim but followed up with a personal best 20km ride of 30 minutes 10 seconds, an average speed of 40km/h, and finished off with a run of 18 minutes 36 seconds averaging 3:43mins/km. I claimed 6th spot in my age group and had an overall time of 1 hour and just 28 seconds.

In the week after that race, I really noticed the fatigue in my body from the two races and promptly stopped training completely for 5 days. With my next race being Challenge Melbourne on February 1st, I gradually returned to training for the 3 weeks prior to Christmas, knowing I had planned to have a rest period around Christmas as well.

During the past couple of months, I have been doing a lot of research into nutrition to continue looking for what works best for me and fuel my training and racing. What I have discovered is the enormous benefits of fueling with fats. That’s right, fats, not carbohydrates. I bet this is confusing some of you reading this because, particularly when associating fueling with an endurance sport, such as triathlon, common theories speak of carbohydrates needing to dominate the diet and race nutrition.

I have researched and discovered how much better and more sustainable fuel from fat is. I will discuss this more in a future blog but you will get a sense of the benefits of energy from stored fats from my Challenge Melbourne race experience below and how it contributed to my best race so far. FYI, my pre-race breakfast was 4 scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and asparagus. I also had a coffee and I drank about 600-700mls of water in the following two hours before race start.

So, Challenge Melbourne on Sunday February 1st over the half-ironman distance of 1.9km swim, 90km ride and 21.1km run. The conditions were wet and windy all day. The swim at Brighton Beach was tough in the choppy 1 metre swell. I really struggled with rhythm but was surprised to be out of the water in 34 minutes. It felt longer than that. I was happy with some aspects of the swim such as, I kicked more often and consistently. I have often neglected or just forgotten to kick in race swims and I know that holds me back and affects my momentum. Also, I was reasonably happy with how my arms felt, not feeling as fatigued as usual and my ability to complete a full stroke when I was tiring was much better than previous races. In the end, the conditions held me back because I only train in the pool but I take confidence that I have improved my swim to a degree but I won’t see the full extent of improvement until I race again in flatter conditions. I anticipate that won’t be until 
December at Ironman 70.3 Ballarat.

After a long run from the water, through transition and out to begin the bike course I was quickly aware that my sunglasses wouldn’t be very useful as the rain came down. So, I put my glasses in my back pocket and I didn’t use them again. The first few kilometers were nervous as I assessed the condition of the wet road and the gusty crosswinds coming off the water. It wasn’t long before I tucked in and felt comfortable to ride hard and I didn’t hold back despite the on and off rain and constant wind.

My race nutrition was the most interesting point from the day. You may say that the cool conditions contributed but I raced in cold weather at the Ballarat race and still felt the need to consume 800 calories and 2 litres of fluid during the 90km ride. However, in this event I only took in 470 calories during the 90km bike leg. This was in the form of 1 PowerBar (220 calories) and one Honey Stinger Gel (120 calories). To that, I had one 250mls can of ‘V’ which has approximately 130 calories. As for fluid intake, I only consumed approximately 800mls of my mild electrolyte drink, so, add the ‘V’ and that makes only 1.05 litres. My 90km split was 2 hours 21 minutes and 17 seconds, which is a new PB and my speed was very consistent throughout the entire ride.

Some other interesting points to note about my nutrition intake were that I didn’t have anything to eat or drink until the start of the second bike lap. The 90km was split into 3 x 30km laps. This meant I didn’t consume anything until 1 hour 25mins after my race start at which point I had half of my PowerBar. I then had the other half at the 45km turn around. After 60km, I had my gel and finally my ‘V’ at 75km. I drank my electrolyte mix with each bit of food and a little more just before I finished the ride. This is about half the quantity of what I have consumed in all of my previous half ironman distance races, yet I felt as good as ever, if not better, as I started the run.

The run was 3 x 7km laps. Unfortunately, the rain had left a lot of puddles on most of the course and caused the gravel trail sections to be very slushy. This definitely affected everyone’s pace. My legs felt as good as they ever have, when starting the run of a half ironman, being slightly heavy but not feeling like they wanted to cramp. I found my stride and rhythm very quickly which was only broken slightly when trying to find the smoothest or driest part of the course to run on. There were also two rather steep inclines to negotiate as well as a slippery downhill to descend.

I took a gel at the start of the second lap and a mouthful of water but I’m not actually sure I needed it. To my surprise, I maintained a highly consistent pace for each of the 3 laps and the only thing I consumed for the last 14kms was a mouthful of electrolyte drink from one of the drink stations. In fact, my first and last laps were exactly the same time with my middle lap being one minute slower. On the last lap, I actually felt amazing. Although my legs were tiring, it only made the uphill sections difficult and once I was back on the flat areas, I felt like I was flying. My posture and turn over were as good as they have ever been. My final run time was 1 hour 29 minutes 27 seconds. About 3 minutes below my PB from Ballarat but, I believe, it was only that way due to the wet course conditions and the added uphill terrain.

My overall time was 4 hours 30 minutes 39 seconds. 6th place in my age group and 54th overall finisher. A solid day out and I am calling it my best race to date. Although 5 minutes below my PB from Ironman 70.3 Shepparton, 2013, that was in absolutely perfect conditions. I genuinely feel a much better athlete these days with greater technique and strength, and now, much better nutrition.

In the past couple of months, I have taken on a higher fat, lower carbohydrate way of eating. Also, I look to avoid all refined and processed items, especially anything with refined and added sugar. This includes no bread or pasta and only using gels or energy bars during really long rides and races. What this race experience shows to me is that this approach is working. I only needed half of my regular amount of calories during the race because I have trained my body to use its most efficient and long lasting energy source, fat.

In the near future, I will blog to explain further why a high fat/low carb approach to eating is not only safe and effective to use in endurance sport but is essential for greater health.

A massive thank you to Dr David Riordan at Holistique Helath and Spa and his wife Mandy (please check out her awesome website devoted to clean eating – www.mycleaneats.com.au – and like her facebook page – Mandy’s Clean Eats) for their continued support, but more recently, advice and inspiration towards greater health through clean eating. Learning to eat cleaner and experience so many wonderful, natural foods that not only taste amazing, are enjoyable to cook and/or prepare, but provide my body with so much goodness, is truly gratifying.

I hope I can inspire some of you to give clean eating a true shot.

Leave a comment or question below about anything nutrition related.

Talk soon,

Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment