Wednesday 10 April 2019

Ironman 70.3 Geelong


In short, it was a good day and a relief to finally get back to half ironman racing. It was perfect weather conditions and I put in a consistent performance that I think was reflective of the way I prepared for the event in a short amount of time.

Swim 1.9km – 33:56
T1 – 04:03
Bike 90.1km – 2:38:57
T2 – 03:44
Run 21.1km – 1:37:59
Total – 4:58:37

Pre-race

I felt good in the few hours pre-race. I had some scrambled eggs and rice for breakfast about 2 and a half hours before start time and a short black coffee as well. I was one of the first few to show up at the race site eager to set up in transition to allow as much time as possible to warm up. I got an awesome car park too.

I had my mate, Dallas, keeping me company, which was terrific. He also put me up for the night. He has done several half ironman races before but like me it hadn’t been since Ballarat in December 2016. Even the day before the race he was wishing he was competing. Being around the race and feeling the pre-race vibe only made him want it more. The whole atmosphere around a triathlon event, especially a well organised and supported one like Geelong, is quite invigorating.

I spent about 30 minutes doing a variety of DNS (see my previous blog) exercises as my warm up before getting in my wetsuit and heading down to the swim start. The swim start was changed from mass wave starts for each age category to a rolling start. This was due to the presence of sea urchins having taken up residence close to shore off Eastern Beach so the organisers made a special chute with rubber mats lining the sea bed for us to enter the water. This chute was very narrow so, to ensure fairness for each athlete’s race, we filed in gradually and our individual race time only started just as we entered the water.

The Swim

As with all of my training leading up to this event, my swimming had been limited. I had focused on technique as much as possible during training without doing much volume. My longest swim session had only been 2km and the swim in the race is 1.9km but my focus was on engraining more quality technique into my swimming ability.

My aim for the swim was to put in a consistent effort where I didn’t feel I was exerting myself greatly but was not losing a lot of ground. However, it didn’t take long for the fatigue to set in through my shoulders. After the first few hundred metres I set myself little targets such as swim freestyle to the next marker buoy and then have a brief breaststroke break. The breaststroke helped to relieve the fatigue slightly and I mostly achieved my objective for the opening leg of the race. Clearly, the lack of volume in my swim training was the biggest limiting factor to why I didn’t go faster or why I couldn’t maintain my freestyle the entire way but I wasn’t unhappy with the start.

The Bike

I didn’t rush through transition because I knew if I did it would unnecessarily spike my heart rate and waste energy that could be used elsewhere. As I did for the entire race, I tried to keep my heart rate and breathing under control. It didn’t help that my heart rate monitor wasn’t synching to my watch or bike computer for almost the whole race. However, I have developed a good understanding of my perceived effort over my ten years of triathlon as I didn’t train with a heart rate monitor or bike cadence (RPM) until about two years ago. Once onto the bike I focused on trying to remain as comfortable as possible in my aero position while maintaining a consistent turnover of approximately 85 RPM.

There are two significant uphill sections on the course at Geelong during each of the two 45km laps. Initially, you go uphill from Eastern Beach, shortly after mounting the bike, for approximately 300 metres and repeat this when you start the second lap. Then, at approximately 22km, there is a steeper section, also of approximately 300 metres in length, which is repeated at around the 67km mark of the 90km bike leg. Each time I completed these uphill sections I controlled my effort carefully. In my three previous participations of this event, I pushed hard on these uphill sections but without having as much training behind me for this race I knew that approach would not serve me well.

As I started the second lap I was feeling quite tight through my hips and lower back. This was a concern and I thought it may last for the remainder of the ride. Fortunately, it subsided by about the 60km mark and I was able to continue my consistent effort through to the end. My second lap was only a few minutes slower than the first which was pleasing.

The Run

Once again, I didn’t rush through transition and I needed a toilet stop too which indicated I had either taken in too much fluid during the bike leg or I hadn’t absorbed it very well. This will be something I carefully assess before my next half ironman race at Challenge Melbourne on April 14.
I felt really good as I began the run. I didn’t struggle too much to get my legs moving and I was maintaining about a 4:20min/km pace for the first 6km. From that point on, my average pace slowed gradually and some of my latter kilometers were up towards 5:00min/km. However, I just tried to keep moving as consistently as possible, maintain technique and take in sufficient fluid and sugar. In fact, I walked a number of aid stations to ensure I didn’t miss taking in enough as it was heating up quickly.
I was able to find a bit more spring in my step as I went through the last 2 – 3 km and cruised down the finish chute to enjoy crossing the finish line. There was a sense of relief as well as satisfaction and a feeling of ‘I’m back’.

Nutrition

Up until approximately 18 months ago, I followed a very low carbohydrate, high fat lifestyle which included a lot of intermittent fasting. This included racing with fat sources as my race nutritional intake and not taking in many calories overall during long races. This had some benefits for me but, ultimately, I found it wasn’t conducive for achieving my best performance.

In the past 18 months my nutrition approach has evolved further aimed at helping my training and race performances. I now consume a relatively even balance of carbohydrates, protein and fats and time the consumption of certain types of foods around training sessions. 

However, compared to the general dietary advice, which I generally disagree with, I have a lower intake of carbohydrate and higher consumption of fat. I still do occasional fasted training sessions and intermittent fasting to ensure I maintain my fat adaptation but I also train my body to use carbohydrates efficiently for race day too.
I have returned to using sugar based energy gels during races and some longer, high intensity training sessions. However, this is still lower than what I was consuming during races and training 4 – 5 years ago. During the 2014 Ironman 70.3 World Championships, in Canada, I consumed eight gels and a can of ‘V’ during a 2 hour 26 minute bike leg and then a couple more gels and some coke during the run. About 1400 calories in total because I thought that’s what I needed to perform.

Compare that to this race where I had six gels in 2 hours 38 minutes on the bike and sipped a combination of water, electrolytes and coke during the run. Probably only 800 calories in total. My energy from nutrition was never an issue.

I will always be aware of how I eat and evolve to get the best out of myself but I am confident I am on a good thing with my current approach as I look towards next summer and a return to challenging for the top spots in my age group.

What’s Next?

I will be racing the half ironman distance at Challenge Melbourne on April 14. I have had some great swim and run training building for this event but I haven’t done as much as I would have liked on the bike. However, I am excited to race again and finish the season on a high. This will be followed by a couple of weeks of recovery.

Cheers,

Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment