Sunday 14 July 2013

Base training injury


Day 1: 10/7/13


I have been in base training for 5 weeks and now I have a mild injury. It happened several days ago, just a few hundred metres into my long weekend run, when I felt a sudden twinge in the middle of my back slightly to the right side. I tried stretching it extensively before attempting to continue running but within a few more steps it was clear I needed to stop and call it a day.

I have a pelvis which is misaligned through muscle imbalances all over my body. The majority of muscles on my right side are stronger and more developed than those on my left. Years of playing sports like Hockey, Cricket and Tennis. I am working with my chiropractor to hopefully control this with the understanding that it will, most likely, never be able to be returned to normal position. Injuries are bound to happen from time-to-time because of this.

I rode the 22kms to work this morning in temperatures barely above freezing but commuting to and from work is one of the best ways for me to get those vital kilometres on the bike during the week. Riding was an obvious place to begin training again once the majority of the pain and low range of movement had subsided in my back.

These potential setbacks can strike at any time. Prior to this I had been progressing really well since beginning training after my post-season break and some extensive travel. So how do I deal with these incidents in order to, a) take care of my body, b) continue to train/get back to training ASAP, and c) not lose my mind when I can’t follow my program to its exact specifications?

My answer is – be proactive, flexible and knowledgeable.

Proactive for injuries means assess it ASAP. I ask myself, how bad do you think it is? Is it restricting you and how? How did you do it? What can I do initially after it happens ie: ice, compression, etc? If you can’t do anything to fix it yourself, who is the best professional to tell me more about this and then treat it? I then begin the necessary treatment.

Being flexible means making immediate and necessary adjustments to your training schedule to suit what your body is capable of while suffering an injury. It is highly unlikely you will be able to push yourself to the extent that your program asks of you when you are injured, both in intensity and volume. If you try to do so it will probably do one, or more, of the following things:-

Ø  Not allow the injury to get better as quickly as what it could.

Ø  Not let you get the most out of your body and/or training session because your body is compensating for the injury.

Ø  You will cause a new injury due to the compensation your body is making.

Ø  You will aggravate the injury further.

There are various other possibilities that may occur as a result of not adjusting your program to accommodate an injury so it pays dividends to always be vigilant of the reactions your body has to training and be smart about it.

Being knowledgeable means taking in as much information from the professionals, from whom you seek treatment, as possible. The more you can take in with each and every treatment, the more proactive you can be with future injuries. Things you may learn from you Chiropractor, Physiotherapist, Osteopath, Masseur or even your GP, could prove highly useful in identifying injuries and their symptoms in the future. The more you know, the better you can treat yourself and potentially save yourself some money through fewer visits to your professionals. However, if in doubt, go see someone!

I will use this course of action to manage an injury but also, to gain more knowledge. I can always learn something new when I get injured. Not just learn how to treat myself and what to do to recover but I will learn how to cope with the mental challenge.

Stay tuned for more talk about mental training.

No comments:

Post a Comment